If you want to be successful in the digital age, you need to ensure that your business can be easily found in search results. That’s why search engine optimization is so important. After all, 50% of searchers are more likely to click on a result if that brand appears multiple times in search results. The more visible and relevant you are, the more web traffic you’ll obtain.
But of course, you can’t expect to increase your conversions with a disappointing website. Even if the content you’ve published is fantastic and you’re an excellent source of information, web users won’t stick around if your web design is lacking. Ultimately, that’s why DIY websites don’t typically cut it. To grow your business online, you need help from professional web design services. That’s the only way to impress visitors in terms of both aesthetic and function.
Of course, the realm of web design is always evolving, which can make it difficult to keep up with the latest web design trends. Even experienced website designers have to dedicate themselves to ongoing training and education. Otherwise, their work will soon become obsolete. While you don’t need to be an expert in design to have an awesome site (that’s what web design services are for!), it may be helpful to learn more about and be able to recognize some of the most common features.
In today’s post, we’ll be discussing five of the top web design trends we’ve seen so far in 2018. While not all of these concepts will be appropriate for your new website, this post can give you a great place to start when meeting with your web design agency.
5 New Website Design Features For 2018
- Customized Art: Although high-quality stock images are still incredibly popular on the majority of websites, there’s now an even more appealing alternative. Customized illustrations are becoming more popular in 2018 because they’re unique, playful, and captivating. Instead of relying on a generic image that just about any business has the potential to purchase, your organization may want to work with a graphic designer who can create something truly special. Not only will these custom graphics make your website one-of-a-kind, but it can also support your existing branding and capture your message and tone perfectly. If you’re bored with those hackneyed stock images and you really want your site to stand out, you can make your business more approachable and more exciting by using tailor-made illustrations in your web design. Keep in mind that when it comes to graphic art, flat design should be the default choice.
- Broken Grid Layouts: Most web design services will create something harmonious and logical for their clients. It makes the site more user-friendly and immediately easy to understand — both of which can reduce the potential for confusion or frustration. Often, designers will use grids to achieve this goal. A grid is essentially the site’s structure; it uses invisible lines to ensure that all site elements are placed in a logical way that appears consistent. But that doesn’t mean grid layouts are the only way to go. Broken grid layouts are a bit less rigid and allow for overlapping elements for the sake of a beautiful (and less logical) design. It’s a less restrictive technique that can produce eye-catching results. Remember, not everything has to be symmetrical.
- Tactile Design: Yes, flat design is still king in 2018. However, tactile design is becoming a lot more prevalent this year, too. Like its name suggests, tactile design highlights the importance of touch and texture. Of course, web users can’t physically touch the elements included in your site design (although they may be able to interact with them on their phones or tablets). But with tactile design, you can make them feel like they could reach out and touch the features on the screen. This type of design makes objects look three-dimensional and totally real, even in a digital space. Often, there are few physical borders (read: separations) with this type of design. Multiple layers, like drop shadows, are typically used to make the images and other elements look even more realistic. High definition photos may also be used to convey an immense amount of detail to add to the user experience. Basically, this type of design really brings your website (and your products) to life. With the right look, you can improve the connection between consumer and business.
- Bold Color Schemes: While there’s nothing wrong with having a lot of literal white space, 2018 brought more color to the table. Those who offer web design services are no longer afraid of being bold and vibrant. Web designers no longer have to stick with web-safe colors, thanks to advancements in screens and monitors (as well as customer expectations). Contrast and readability are still extremely important, but that doesn’t mean your site has to be traditional and neutral in its aesthetic. Your design agency can set your site apart by embracing vivid hues. This can improve the customer experience and play into all of your branding efforts. Plus, no one will be able to accuse you of having a boring website.
- Integrated Animation: If the thought of having an animated feature on your site makes you cringe, you’re not alone. We’d be cringing too if someone suggested installing an old fashioned Flash element on your homepage. But that’s not how website animation looks today. Static images are still used quite a bit, but smaller animated graphics and particle backgrounds are becoming more commonplace. These interactive features can be a welcome alternative to a video. Or, they can simply add a bit of entertainment and engagement while a visitor scrolls down your site. When used correctly, they’ll add a lot to the user experience, rather than detract from it. Often, this can be accomplished by adding animated features that move when triggered by a user action (like hovering or scrolling) or that happen at scheduled times. And while they might not be the right choice for your particular website, GIFs are popping up again as animated company logos are catching on. It seems that professional web design services and graphic designers have found a way to include animation in a way that feels fresh and new, rather than outdated. Just as long as you don’t use Flash.
Could My Website Benefit From These Elements?
When web designers are more concerned with building their portfolio than meeting your needs, they may recommend including all of these trends in your new website. That said, it’s not always the best idea to go crazy and include every single trend in your web design. That could lead to a cluttered, ineffective design that ends up doing more harm than good. But thoughtful usage of these features can make a big difference for the overall experience of web users — and increase the likelihood of converting those web users into customers.
In order to determine which of these trends makes the most sense to include, it’s essential that you work with experienced web design services. This is too complex for the DIY approach. Trying to integrate them without assistance could compromise how your current website looks and operates. But with help from your web design services team, you can make sure your website stands out for all the right reasons.
Curious to learn more about what we can do to improve your site? Get in touch with our Dallas web design firm today. PixelCutLabs offers the perfect integration of modern web design and SEO services, and we’d love to help you create something extraordinary.